Tuesday, January 11, 2011

HAPPY 2011!!


Feliz Ano Nuevo - Bonne Annee - Prosit Neujahr - Hauoli Makahiki Hou - Kul 'am wa antum bikhair - Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit/daoibh - QISmaS DatIvjaj 'ej DIS chu' DatIvjaj

        The above is "Happy New Year" in Spanish, French, German, Hawaiian, Arabic, Gaelic and Klingon.  Sorry about leaving out the other 6,904 living languages.  But it's a short post. 

         2011 is, in numerology, UY4 - the Universal Year 4 (or 13, depending on the type of numerology you use).  I'm not an expert, or even a very knowledgeable amateur in numerology, but I do find it interesting and about as dependable as any other means of predicting what's gonna happen in this new year.  Since time is merely a human construct anyway, I usually take this date on the calendar with the proverbial grain of salt.  But it is a good time to take stock of what I have or haven't done and what I still need or want to do.  It's also a good explanation for the increasingly saggy, wrinkled and gray person who dwells in my bathroom mirror now.  Time may not exist, but something has definitely been undermining my body.  Life, I guess.  

          Anyway, this is the time of year for divination, prophesying and making educated guesses about the immediate and distant future, and if you have been following any of that lately, things look pretty grim.  If you believe what you read on the internet and in various books and monographs circulating now, you've probably already built a cabin in the mountains and stocked it with supplies, gold and weapons.  I haven't.  Which may be a mistake and may find me wishing at some point that I had a copied down directions to your mountain hideaway before you left.  At this time, though, my mind is too filled with today, tomorrow and next week to think much past that.  It's otherwise known as living in the moment.  Not a very effective method of amassing a sizable nest egg or preparing for Armageddon, but if the Earth is going to hell in 2012, then I don't have to worry about it, do I? 

           Essentially, I am what Rogers & Hammerstein called a "cockeyed optimist."  Not because I possess any special insight into future events, but because of something that seems to be part of my DNA.  I come from the "what you don't know won't hurt you" school of philosophy.  I'm not cavalier or careless in my daily life, but when it comes to the future, I choose to let it be a surprise.  As a relative newcomer to this human form, there are many things I haven't experienced.  But since learning about my true background and origins, it has become clear to me that I didn't come here to experience the end of Earth.  Even though I've encountered many things that I didn't bargain for in my contract, I don't believe that death by worldwide cataclysmic event will be one of them.

          Since I'm not an oracle, sibyl or psychic, I have no predictions for 2011 or any advice on the best way to get through it.  I have only my blessings.  And one wish -

                       May everyone be happy.  May everyone be free from misery.
                       May no one ever be separated from their happiness. 
                       May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.

                                                                              Buddhist prayer
                                                                        AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment